Thursday, March 11, 2010

Obedience in ALL things

" I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws." Genesis 26:5

Lately the Lord has been growing, convicting and challenging me on obedience even in the smallest areas of life. What an incredible example in scripture is Abraham, who not only obeyed God's voice, but kept HIS charge, the Lords commandments, His statues and His laws. I think that pretty much sums up all areas in life! Isaac was promised this blessing (the above verse) because his father Abraham had obeyed the Lord. WOW! I would love for my life to reflect Christ so much that it can be said that I obeyed the Lords voice, commandments, and word. What a challenge as believers to be in God's word listening for His voice so that we can walk in obedience. If you are not in God's word and in constant communication with Him, then you won't be able to hear His commands to lead you. I pray that the Lord will continue to grow us all, that we may seek His guidance in ALL areas of life and walk in obedience.

"Lord help us to live a life of faith like Abraham, to trust in the covenant keeping God in all circumstances, desiring Your will and walking in obedience to what You have commanded us. Thank You for showing us the example in Abraham Amen."

2 comments:

  1. That is a great word. What I find interesting is to see how God continues to bless Abraham and honor their covenant all along the journey even when Abraham and Sarah are in sin.

    Twice they lied and told kings they were brother and sister (not to mention the lack of faith that Abraham might be killed just to have his wife taken from him) Abraham married more than one wife which was completely against God's original intention for marriage. Also, Sarah hated Hagar and Ishmael and had them sent away. Just to name a few things.

    Despite all of those things God kept his covenant and blessed Abraham (and Sarah)in addition to Abrahams faith, not because of anything Abraham did to deserve or earn it.

    What a great reminder that we (like Abraham) have been chosen to follow God, we did not or cannot do anything to earn it that right. We only have to accept God simply because of who He is and what He has done for us (or has promised to do); not because He needs anything at all from us.

    All of that to say I see this passage as more of an example of what God did, and what He wants to do with us rather than what Abraham did for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree but also in scripture Abraham is refereed to a man of faith and I agree it is so humbling and sweet to have his example in scripture because he did sin and mess up numerous times but God still remained faithful, and still blessed him, regardless of the mess ups. What a faithful, kind God who is full of GRACE :)
    Thanks for your comment Chris!

    ReplyDelete